Kovakka (Tindora) Mezhukkupuratti
|Kovakka (Tindora/Ivy gourd)||1 pound|
|Chopped onion||1 cup|
|Green chillies||2 nos|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||4 -5 leaves|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Chilli powder||1 tsp|
- Wash and slice kovakka length wise into 4 quarters. Cut both the ends off before slicing them. Use only the ones that are still greenish white on the inside, throw away the ones that have turned reddish.
- Chop onions and slit the green chillies in half.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves, wait for it to splatter.
- Add the sliced kovakka, onions and green chillies. Mix it well.
- Add 3 tbsp of water, mix again and cover and cook until it is half done. It will take around 10-15 minutes. Stir once or twice in between.
- Add salt, turmeric and chilly powder, mix well until the kovakka is coated evenly. Cover and cook for another 5 min.
- By now the water would have evaporated and the kovakka would have started to fry in the oil. Stir fry the kovakka until it is dry, around 5-10 minutes. Kovakka Mezhukkupuratti is done. Have it with chapatis or as a side with rice.